[Board] One concern on obligations for OSGeo projects

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 4 16:34:29 PDT 2008

IMO:

Frank,

Sorry, I don't know the protocols applying to non-board members posting to
this list. However this is potentially a serious issue that needs clear
resolution. Therefore I hope that you don't mind the comment.

This situation (re: export restrictions etc) may even apply to countries
that have a Free Trade agreement in place with the US (e.g. Australia).

Bruce Bannerman

> It is very radical, but I would actually contemplate OSGeo
reincorporating
> in switzerland or as a "UN based corporation" if this becomes more of a
> problem.  However, for now I suggest we not panic.  There is very little
> practical impact at this time.
>
> Interestingly we had an interesting talk on Cloud Computing at our
Ottawa
> "bootcamp" event this week and there was substantial discussion at the
end
> about the implications of many organizations making themselves dependent
> on cloud computing architectures from Amazon, Google, IBM, Sun, etc that
are
> ultimately subject to US law because the companies are US companies.
>
> There is clearly significant "push back" from the world about so much
> key infrastructure being subject to the whims of US law, even here in
> relatively complacent Canada.
>
> Best regards,
> -

Notice: