[Board] Support

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed May 28 14:03:37 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> The aim for such subsidized events might be to:
>  o Provide up-front funding for a facility (hopefully we could gets
> something
>   reasonable at a university)
>  o Provide up-front funding for a few outside presenters.
>  o Subsidize some students (perhaps selected by local chapter activists?)

How about subsidize an organizer? These things don't just spring out
of the ground on their own, and local folks don't know necessarily all
the parts needed to make them a success. Even more important, from an
OSGeo perspective, make sure that the event has a level of consistency
with the other events, in presentation, marketing and execution.

> Having said all that, I'd prefer to see the "teach-in" prove itself as
> proposed before trying to replicate it far and wide in subsidized forms.

Indeed.

P.