[Board] In-kind sponsorships

Yves Jacolin (free) yjacolin at free.fr
Wed Oct 22 11:16:33 PDT 2008

Le mercredi 22 octobre 2008, Ari Jolma a écrit :
> IMO it would be foolish to turn down their offer only because "our
> system does not understand you" (very softwareish, though). Sponsoring
> is not just giving money. We just need an appropriate category for
> sponsors of this kind.
>
> Meanwhile, my sponsor-seeking efforts have not yet produced anything. My
> Nokia contact, however, forwarded the mail to somebody else, but
> commented that perhaps all Nokia's geospatial money went into buying
> Navteq.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ari
>
> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) kirjoitti:
> > I was asked by a potential sponsor if we would be able to designate
> > them as a sponsor without paying for a sponsorship position.  Instead,
> > they were hoping to spend significant staff time working with OSGeo
> > committees or helping organise some local events - and were hoping for
> > recognition of their efforts.
> >
> > I explained that there is no current way to handle these kinds of
> > "in-kind" contributions and that many other people and companies would
> > also fall under this category.  If we went this route we could
> > potentially stand to lose a lot of the funding we need to cover our
> > real costs.  I promised to discuss it further with the board, so here
> > I am...

Hi Tyler,

The Francophone Local Chapter planned to accept this kind of sponsorship but
we want to surround it for special cases (small companies, a lot of hours
spent, ...). This RFC has to be defined (this is a draft) and is not yet
included in the OSGeo-fr statuts ([1]).

Regards,

Y.
[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/RFC_sponsor_fr
--
Yves Jacolin

"Give freedom to people is not enough, we also have to give them the power
to use this freedom, to act". M Gauchet