[Board] March/April update

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 9 09:22:26 PDT 2009

Hi all,
A few things to note from the past month.

* I took 7 days off due to being sick and tending to a sick family
too.  Seems we're all recovered now.

* Compiling Annual Report. Lots of great reports from almost all
projects and many local chapters.  A couple committee groups are
still outstanding.  I have to write a couple still, others
outstanding: Incubation, Systems, Website, Conference.  I'm working
with Arnulf to get a Board level report too.
** http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_Report_2008

* Journal - we also have a few journal articles going through our
first ever attempt at peer review.  Still lots of opportunity if
someone wants to help me run the Journal.

* FOSS4G 2009 is getting to the critical point for building up more
sponsors as soon as possible.  If you have any leads for companies or
organisations that would benefit from exhibiting or sponsoring,
please let me or others on LOC know.  For some of you this might be
the easiest way to help raise funds for OSGeo, since there are many
clear ways that donors benefit from sponsoring FOSS4G.  It can be our
major fundraiser for the year if we look at it that way - otherwise
it can easily become a major cost item too!  I encourage you all to
be looking for sponsors for the event and for OSGeo generally too.

* Summer of Code - SoC brought in as much funding last year as a
supporting sponsorship ($10k).  I proposed a project for helping
improve printing output, based on earlier wiki discussions with
Markus, Wolf and others.  We have a student proposal based on it and
I offered to help Wolf mentor.

* Finances - paid out some QGIS (hackfest) and GDAL (Toronto Code
sprint) sponsorship funds.  Received sponsorship renewal from our
friends at LizardTech.  Updating transactions, paying bills, etc.

* Marketing - supported our presence at American Association of
Geographers (AAG) event, with our involvement led by Alex Mandel (aka
wildint).  Used first professional produced brochure layout, among
other things.   Our good first test case on using an exhibition
package.  Result was really good and booth was very popular.  Next
event to help with is Where 2.0.
** http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/brochures/draft_2009/
OSGeo_Brochure_1_flip.pdf

Looking forward to chatting on Friday.