[Board] Agenda Item - Broadband Mapping (p-o-c)

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Aug 3 21:39:38 PDT 2009

Request for OSGeo  Board Meeting Agenda item:

   The US Federal Stimulus Act of 2009 ("ARRA") is creating both
challenges and new opportunities as projects declared in the Act get
underway. With regard to the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration - Broadband Technology Opportunities Program
created by the ARRA, the OSGeo Board has issued a letter dated 03July09
stating a strong backing of the concept of transparent and public
geodata, and an interest in contacting principals close to the issue.
Some members of the Board expressed that they may not have time to give
this matter their full attention, if and when it proceeds.

   I propose that OSGeo designate a Point of Contact (p-o-c) in the US
for this program. Further I propose that the Board designate this
project as a priority for OSGeo in the United States.