[Board] Objections? - California GIO Letter - Monday

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Aug 10 08:54:59 PDT 2009

TO: Michael Byrne, GIO
     Office of the State Chief Information Officer
RE: ARRA Broadband Mapping Architecture Comment

Mr. Byrne -

   California is filing or has filed a State Plan for its implementation
of the ARRA Broadband Initiative mapping requirement.

   You may be pleased to know that the California Chapter of OSGeo is
taking the lead in the US for OSGeo multi-national, and intiating
dialog at the Federal level strongly affirming the need for Open Geo
Data and public access. Further, OSGeo is writing a one page white
paper on architectural considerations for repository and revision
control of broadband mapping geo data.

   It would be my pleasure to include your office in whatever way you
deemed appropriate. I believe that with a new Federal committment to
transparent government and public access to information coming from the
White House directly, that there is an increasing opportunity for Open
Source software and Open Standards geo data in the rapidly approaching
implementation of the ARRA Broadband mapping objectives.

    As you know, OSGeo is the leading, on-the-ground, open source
geospatial software development organisation worldwide.  We are an
international nonprofit [US 501(c)3 pending] comprising more than a
dozen mature geospatial software projects built by more than 500
developers from the United States and around the world. As a coalition,
OSGeo holds a  unique role in advocacy of open standarads and open
source, in a world where industry  consolidation has produced a very
small handful of huge private firms, with the inevitable market
tensions associated with maintaining their positions.

   We believe that OSGeo is very much in line with the spirit and intent
of the push for transparent government and public access science. As
such there may be a special opportunity to raise the  bar for the kind
of technology initiative as presented in the ARRA Broadband Initiative
now and in the future.

   sincerely

   Brian Hamlin
   OSGeo California Chapter