[Board] Update from Tyler - January

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Feb 2 12:00:54 PST 2009

Hi all,
Here are some of the things I've had on the radar this past month.
Many are ongoing as well.

Education: Worked with educational committee to tweak and start using
a training material catalogue.  http://osgeo.org/educational_content

Conference:
  - General: Answered some general questions for those interested in
holding future events and branding them as OSGeo.  Posting news
releases.
  - FOSS4G: Upgrade conference system, lending a hand to '09 web site
team for committing site changes.

Journal:  Loading back issues into online system, updating links on
sites.  Trying to line up peer review process, but it has totally
stalled.

Summer of Code:  Worked with Wolf to send thank you gifts to
mentors.  I submitted some of my ideas for SoC 2009 and do a bit of
research.  Last year Google gave us $10,000 for mentors, etc.

Local Chapters:
  - California: Alex and Landon working on formalising the chapter.
Lost of questions about next steps.  They are increasingly interested
in raising local sponsors to help fund OSGeo presence at events.
Some questions about handling finances, etc.
  - Francophone: Dealing directly with our sponsor IGN to help answer
questions and find solutions.  Discussed with Yves about how they
might get their code back into OSGeo projects and what kind of
language barriers exist.

Finance: Updated and reviewed 2008 financial records.  OSGeo
officially registered in British Columbia now - at request of our
local bank.  Sent a QGIS contractor payment and created a status
report.  Stalled insurance application finally restarted due to staff
turnover at insurance company.

Web: Some layout changes and also a bunch of testing of various
website tools.  Helping compile comments and ideas re: future web
site changes from a marketing perspective.  Prototyping a symbol
management tool in CMS.

Marketing: Material development (brochures, etc) plan started.  Was
recently interviewed for a Japanese software developer magazine - to
be posted in a couple months.

That's all for now, drop me a note on anything in particular you
might like to hear more about at our next meeting.

Best wishes,
Tyler