[Board] Update from Tyler

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Jan 8 20:30:35 PST 2009

Hi all, a few update points for tomorrow's meeting.  I'm on the road with the family this week but if you see me on skype and have a question please ping me.

* I had a bit of time off over the past couple weeks, it went great and helped me (and my family) to get focused for 2009.

* FOSS4G 2009 and 2010 starting to look at reusing the conference management system used for 2008.
**  I upgraded the system and am helping coordinate some of the review of needs, etc.  2009 has some specific people assigned to work on it.  Lorenzo is looking at it too to see how to best use it.
** One item that I'll be trying to get some headway on is developing a simple theme for the foss4g.org so it is an attractive landing page/portal for all our events.  It could  also be available to groups or local chapters who could use the support.  I'll be adding links to past events as well there.

* The educational content inventory page http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Educational_Content_Inventory on the wiki has been maxed out.  I pulled together an app on http://osgeo.org/educational_content  It has been reviewed and EduCom will start populating it soon.
** If you know of any more courses or material that we should have in there, it is open for business.
** building this input and search mechanism is pretty simple - if you ever have an application you could use, let me know and I can help get you started in drupal.  I started a prototype for a symbol catalogue too, following from the thread on the discuss list.  More to come on this.

* Marketing meeting next week.  We'll discuss some of the main projects we have identified in  our budget and possibly assign lead contacts for each section.

* Journal work has been minimal, having to decide whether to wait for peer review process to solidify or not.  Several people interested in getting their papers reviewed.
** Also starting to look at 2008 annual report process.  If you want to help on this at all, let me know.

That's all for now.  Hope the meeting goes well.

Best wishes,
Tyler