[Board] Report of the interim mini f2f Board Meeting with CEO & next regular meeting

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Jul 2 06:08:46 PDT 2009

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:

> Last item (at least in this mail): Please find out for yourself whether
> you want to stay on the board and run for another term. Regardless of how
> we will get the elections done I am keen on having a responsive and
> diverse board so that we can keep up the good pace at which OSGeo is
> forging on. On the same issue please let me know your opinion on the
> president's role. It has taken me considerable time to grow into it and
> just lately it seems to start making sense. Originally I was sure that one
> year would be more than enough but now I think that maybe some continuity
> in this role would actually be a good thing for OSGeo. This is hard to say
> while being in that role so please be straight forward honest on this
> matter, either publicly or off list. Any feedback is welcome. You cannot
> hurt me.
>
> All of this is also addressed to all lurkers on this list, you are not
> hanging around for nothing, you must have an opinion. Speak up.

+1 for a longer term for the OSGeo president.  I think a long-term
president would show stability in the organization to the international
community.  Also, too many people in the organization wear too many hats
at once - having Arnulf focus all of his OSGeo time on the presidential
role over a longer time period can only be a good thing.

-jeff