[Board] On constitutional re-engineering

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jun 17 06:33:52 PDT 2009

Hi Jo,

Perhaps it is useful to recall why the membership model for OSGeo was
created in the form it has taken. It was designed from the Apache
model for meritocracy whereby recognition is given to individuals who
have demonstrated a high level of contribution to the foundation and
it's projects. In this way it ensures that the future of the
organization is shaped by those who have a proven record of the
greatest commitment to the Foundation.

The risk of eliminating this process is that it opens the door to
having the organization pushed in directions that are not consistent
with the wishes of the folks who actually have skin in the game --
something that could be quite destructive to the successes that have
come to date.

I think it's critical to recall that open source technology success is
an outcome of contributions of effort - the process we have in place
currently is designed to encourage contributions and ensure the
overall organization is driven not by a simple vote of the masses --
but by those who are giving the most as individuals to the success of
OSGeo.

Dave

www.mapsherpa.com
www.dmsolutions.ca