[Board] Re: F2F meeting

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 6 09:44:29 PST 2009

I certainly appreciate having the F2F events and I really did miss it when we only had a few people meeting at FOSS4G.   I do wonder if there is some sort of event or professional roundtable or even code sprint, etc. that we could organise and have funded by attendees and then offset the directors travel costs that way.   Many of you are in demand and respected as speakers, business people and local catalysts, I'm sure we could get a few 100 people together with a low cost entrance and help fund the entire thing.  At least any offset of personal costs would be better than nothing at this point.

At any rate, I think FOSS4G should be one event at minimum the directors aim to be at, however possible.  Arnulf you are hoping to have one more as well?

How many directors will be attending any kind of code sprint this year - for example in US/Canada or Europe or elsewhere where there may be >1 directors present?

> Otherwise we can make it a
> requirement that
> future Directors must be capable and willing to afford a meeting
> on their
> own expense.

At least we aren't like another non-profit board I'm on, where us directors are being asked to fund activities with a set annual contribution - either directly with their own cash or in-kind by raising sponsorships.  The purpose is for the gov't tax folks to see the directors are committed to success of the organisation.

I'd like to see us not have to move there, but I think there are some innovate ways we could strive to meet a few more travel costs:
* Supporting and promoting a $20-50 paid membership level.
* Looking at my typically underused travel budget.
* Designating a portion of any FOSS4G profits (several directors are often part of ensuring FOSS4G is a success)
* .. etc.

I'll try to brainstorm a few more.  I just suggest that, like Arnulf states, we try to find a way to take care of it though that might mean thinking of ways apart from using traditional sponsorship funds.

> I have started several attempts at getting together at least a
> list of
> potential sponsors and to then nudge some board members into actually
> contacting them and to report of their success but so far to no avail.

We have had some success recently where I am able to meet (face to face) with potential sponsors and see them turn into paying ones.  I expect a couple new ones to come out of those I met at FOSS4G (already had at least one specific inquiry).  Whenever I travel I'm on the hunt for sponsors and it usually bears fruit a couple times a year, it has also helped me to reconfirm commitment from existing sponsors.  And a couple directors have helped hand potential sponsors over to me to follow up with.  It's not perfect yet, but I do feel this past 6 months or so has been a big improvement.

I'm also seeing the project sponsorship prospects starting to become a bit more active (active beyond just GDAL/OGR I mean ).  This means a bit more administration on my part, but helps build some base funding.

More thoughts later, hope you are well,
Tyler