[Board] Re: F2F meeting

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 6 11:00:22 PST 2009

Howard Butler wrote:
> I wonder if we could explore some sort of profit split with the local
> committee that runs the FOSS4G event.

Howard,

To be clear, we have a profit splitting arrangement with the local
committee and the split is that we (OSGeo) get 100% of the profit.

We have put in place guidelines on a desired profit level for FOSS4G and
if we pick lucrative venues we can expect 20-40K profit from FOSS4G.  In
2007 I believe we netted 100K due to the exemplary operation by Paul and
others and a good location.

This year FOSS4G was in a difficult venue (far from most likely attendies)
and we had an exceptionally rocky financial environment so I'm pleased we
still roughly broke even.

I don't really *like* aiming to make money off FOSS4G, but is our policy
and we are doing it.  Arguable we could take further steps, including more
support for those giving workshops and possibly higher workshop prices.  But
I am hesitant to think that we could effectively evolve into a training
as a service organization as our primary income.