[Board] Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Sat Sep 5 03:03:17 PDT 2009

Ladies and gentlemen of the OSGeo board,

Google has invited OSGeo to attend the Mentor Summit this year. It
takes place the 24th-25th October in Mountainview. We are allowed to
send two mentors and/or admins there. Google offers also to sponsor
airplane tickets up to $2000, but only for what they call mentors with
hands-on experience. In addition to myself Hamish Bowman has expressed
an interest in attending the Mentors Summit on behalf of OSGeo. There
is a risk that Google won't accept Hamsih  as being Hands-on, which
means he would not receive any funding from Google, in which case we
could sponsor his trip or we would say no go for him. Would it be
possible to use part of the GSoC money ($10000) to help cover the rest
of the expenses in order to get both me and Hamish to the Mentor
Summit. I expect the other expenses to be around $2000 all in all.

This matter is a bit urgent, as the plane tickets get more expensive
each day. I would have asked earlier, but it was unsure whether OSGeo
would get an invitation.

Best regards,
Wolf Bergenheim
OSGeo GSoC Administrator