[Board] International Participation in OSGeo

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Aug 9 12:13:08 PDT 2010

Hello Brian,

Thanks for this insight into the current status of activity of OSGeo
across the globe.  In fact right after the last FOSS4G, Arnulf and I had
a similar discussion on doing some outreach to India (we both feel that
meeting face to face with local chapters is a critical part of OSGeo's
growth).  Ravi Kumar, another board member, has also been actively
looking at events in India where OSGeo-India can participate in.  So, it
seems we are building some momentum there.

Regarding China, I am in contact with several OSGeo-China members and
they are very active - unfortunately not as visible as other chapters.
(for example, they very quickly translated the Sol Katz Award wiki
recently http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Sol_Katz_Award_cn)  Sometimes the
quietness is a cultural issue, due to language or respecting the
existing developer's code - but I find once you invite these other
cultures to contribute they are more than willing to participate.  I do
agree with you though that we need to make sure our outreach includes China.

I will be sure to mention these points during the upcoming face-to-face
OSGeo Board meeting in Barcelona.  Thanks for the perspective.

-jeff