[Board] Coordinating with OGC

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Feb 2 22:16:42 PST 2010

I was trying to think of some ways to work better/closer with OGC
lately.  Obviously I'm more arms length to the processes than many on
this list are, so I don't expect I'm right on the money, but thought I'd
try one idea ;-)

We have these donated OGC membership, but I know many of you who are
involved already have one and attend some meetings.  In light of their
existing meetings, I was wondering if OSGeo could help organise a
meeting around the same times/place as theirs - with the express purpose
of discussing how OSGeo might compliment OGC work, standards or address
opportunities seen at their meetings.  I assume that some gaps in OSGeo
software or approaches might become evident, or some other opportunities
to help OSGeo shine might become apparent.  Naturally, it might also
serve as a good excuse for directors to meet face-to-face and should
also help add value for those who have to attend these OGC meetings
anyway.  (Though I hear you often get burned out and might be sick of
meetings by the end of it all...)

I'm not sure at all if OGC could help accommodate such a meeting, but
either way I think it might serve some increased opportunities for both
OSGeo and OGC.

Any thoughts, or similar ideas out there?
Tyler