[Board] OSGeo board, F2F Meeting in India

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Feb 4 15:57:15 PST 2010

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Just wanted to mention that we had a mix up of times and Ravi couldn't
> make it to the meeting to discuss this topic today but it is still an
> open question to a couple people.
>
> Some chat on IRC after the meeting showed a wide range of opinion on the
> topic.  But I will try to summarise my own thoughts for you to beat down:
> 1. a face to face meeting once or twice a year is helpful for the
> overall mission of OSGeo. (Not to mention encouraging for me in my job.)
>
> 2.  Flying all of the board to one place may be helpful but is not
> critical to the success of OSGeo.  That is, using board meetings and
> directors to support local chapter development is not part of the
> mission. (Get your tomatoes!)
>
> 3.  Finding places where several directors can meet easily face to face,
> or planning an event where costs can be alleviated, makes a lot of sense
> to me, especially if a local chapter can help coordinate additional
> activities.
>
> 4. All directors are volunteers and don't always have time to get away
> for an extend trip/meetings.
>
> Speaking only for myself, I am not convince (yet) that we need to bring
> the whole board somewhere to help foster OSGeo, especially when there
> are local members there already.  However, if there was an opportunity
> for several to do so in a cost effective manner, I certainly can see the
> value in tying in a board meeting if possible.
>
> Several of the directors and myself travel a fair bit, so I encourage
> the use of tools like tripit.com to help see ahead when we might be in
> the same country.
>
> Anyone else have further ideas/suggestions for this?  The question I
> guess is still open  - do you want to have another board meeting in
> addition to planning to be at FOSS4G?
>
> Hope that helps get thoughts together,

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for summarizing.  I think we will miss a great opportunity to
promote OSGeo in India (isn't this the main goal of the Foundation?);
however I do understand your points.

I do have another idea:

- each FOSS4G annual event must include a Board F2F, and this
requirement should be added to the FOSS4G request for hosting, as the
AGM is already included. Each Board member's travel expenses will be
covered for each Board F2F meeting (meaning: travel to FOSS4G)

To me this makes sense.

But I'm sure others disagree, so please express your opinions.

Thanks for discussing.

-jeff