[Board] Potential Vietnam Chapter

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Fri Feb 12 00:49:27 PST 2010

Hi All,

I have been involved in setting up of several OSGeo Local Chapters
in Asia (Japan, China, India) since 2006.

Regarding the China Local Chapter, it was establised thru discussions
over the Internet and our Chinese colleagues were gracious enough
to invite someone from the OSGeo board to be present at the inagural
for OSGeo-China Chapter and Michael could visit.

Since its official establishment, the OSGeo-Japan chapter has
fortunately had many visitiors from the OSGeo community most
of whose travel was funded by the OSGeo-Japan community.

I have been promoting OSGeo in Vietnam since 2006 and have
given many workshops, tutorials, special sessions in conferences
in various parts of Vietnam. OSGeo had kindly funded (1000US$)
promotions at the GIS-IDEAS 2006 when we organized 1 day workshop,
booth and other OSGeo promotions.

Several reasons can be stated for the reason why an "official"
OSGeo-Vietnam Chapter could not matterialize despite the
efforts made over the last four years. I do not want to go into all
the reasons here. I hope to continue these efforts as I see lot of
interest and need to have a local chapter in Vietnam. My self-financed
trip in March 2010 is also a part of this effort.

It is nice that discussions with the local OSGeo enthusiasts
has been restarted and possible meeting in Hanoi with
related folks from Saigon, Hue and Hanoi to work towards
setting-up a local chapter is also very welcome.

Further, would be very apt and useful if Jeff's trip
could be supported in someway to be present at the meeting.
It would be difficult to look for local sponsors in Vietnam when the
Local Chapter is still not yest established. It will be good
if we could do our bit to encourage the Vietnam folks to
self-organize before seeking local sponsors for funding.

Best

Venka