[Board] [Fwd: Re: Map World Forum 2011]

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Mon Jun 7 04:10:52 PDT 2010

On Jun 7, 2010, at 6:37 AM, ext Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Board,
> sorry for not showing up at the last meeting, I did not manage to be in
> the office in time.
>
> Following up on the agenda item "Short dialog on naming OSGeo
> "International, Global, World, ..." ?". No worries, there is no
> intention to change anything but I wanted to have a short "dialog" or
> "brainstorm" on how we best name things. Maybe it is only me but I
> regularly need to differentiate between different "instances" or
> "categories" of OSGeo.
>
> This issue again became apparent in the recent discussion around
> supporting Map World Forum 2011 by GIS Development. Annu Negi from GIS
> Development used "OSGeo Int." to differentiate it from the OSGeo Local
> Chapter "OSGeo India". There might be other options some of which
> already came up. It would be good to develop a consensus and then use on
> how to name OSGeo in contexts where we need to differentiate. Here are
> some suggestions off the top of my head. Please add your own ideas and
> consider and comment them.
> * OSGeo World
> * OSGeo Main
> * OSGeo International
> * OSGeo Int.
> * OSGeo HQ
> * OSGeo

My answer to this has always been "The OSGeo Foundation". The Foundation
is the encompassing umbrella; the Local Chapters are part of it; there
is no 'entity' which is "OSGeo without the local chapters" -- such a thing
doesn't exist, because all of what OSGeo is is contained in the local
chapters, the people in them and all the other people participating
in OSGeo.

-- Chris

> Best regards form beautiful Bolsena in Italy,
> Arnulf.
>

> --
> Nothing makes sense, except we make it.
> http://www.metaspatial.net