[Board] Sponsorship program ideas

Seven seven at arnulf.us
Mon Jun 7 14:20:04 PDT 2010

On 05/29/2010 04:19 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>> So, to sum up.  What do you think of using some of our FOSS4G
>> resources (now or in the future) as a perk for enticing new
>> sponsors?  I'm thinking of the $10k level and up only since it would
>> only be a few hundred dollars required to deliver.  In some cases,
>> like conference passes, there is always a likelihood that some
>> sponsors might not even use them.
>
> Tyler,
>
> I think we need to make a better effort to mention our sponsors in
> materials
> at our booth whenever we have the booth setup, not just at FOSS4G.
> So, yes,
> I support this.

I support this. But it also needs to be done. Would that be something
organized by the Marketing Committee?

> I also think throwing in FOSS4G passes for sponsors is a fine idea,
> and there
> is no reason not to add this soon - assuming their is no negative
> feedback
> from the board on it.
>
> I would note it is better to have these passes "comped" by FOSS4G rather
> than us actually buying them to avoid paying out extra taxes and other
> fees.
>
> Best regards,

I am also plusone on this one.

Let me add one more thought: We tend to think "company" when we think
"OSGeo sponsor" but I am pretty positive that there is a lot of
potential in the higher level public administration for medium sized
sponsorship. They would extremly profit from free passes in many
aspects. It makes requesting travel costs much easier inside the
organization. It helps to build sensitivity for FOSS software on the
management level (did you know that we sponsor that conference", even if
only indirectly. I could ramble on and on. Even if we only get ten NMCAs
with a 10k sponsorship that makes 100k. We really should look into how
we can make a good proposal for them.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

--