[Board] Re: Motion: Support visit to meet with the emerging Vietnam Chapter with funding

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sat Mar 6 22:45:17 PST 2010

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Ok.  I did not realize this.  So I will go ahead with my plans for the
> meeting (indeed I have already purchased a $880 USD flight, and we will
> pay the $600 for the local contact's travel).  I will look forward to
> the approval by voice vote in the April Board meeting.

Jeff, I suggest you do NOT spend your money!  You could be sunk if the
motion fails - as so far it has failed.  Since it has not passed there
is no commitment from the board at this point!

** Others who did not vote should express themselves to make it clear
whether or not they will let it pass. **

Further background.. The benefit of a voice vote is that an agenda item
is assigned ahead of the vote - so any directors who have an opinion on
the topic will work hard to attend and make themselves clear (even if
the time/place is inconvenient for them).  This was not a voice vote,
nor do I suspect it could turn into one, though you could get the truant
voters to agree in voice I believe.  (Correct me if I'm misinterpreting
this Frank or Arnulf).

In an email vote, they all have the opportunity to speak up regardless
of time/place of the meeting.  So, I encourage all directors that have
not voted, to speak up now to clarify their position for Jeff.  By
failing to cast a vote, it effectively serves a 'no'.

If there are still outstanding voters then this email motion would
effectively fail and likewise if we have a voice vote it is still not
guaranteed even though a majority have approved in this earlier email
round.

Others can clarify, just thought I'd warn you from my perspective!
As you can see, trying to pass a motion in less than 1 months time is
pretty difficult.  It has happened though, but often you have to hunt
down the non-voters and harass them.

Tyler