[Board] Re: Motion: Support visit to meet with the emerging Vietnam Chapter with funding

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 06:40:43 PST 2010

On Mar 8, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:

>> Dear Board Members,
>> hope there is a way we can resolve this. As here is a condition
>> where a member spending his hard-earned money for a cause;
>> the board approval awaits; with him running a risk.
>>
>> There were some mail exchanges on Jeff's proposed Vietnam chapter trips,
>> and to my knowledge I have not read any mails from Directors that oppose
>> the expenditure, except for the ways to be followed for formalising it.
>>
>> I think here is a situation where the board (with rules and regulations
>> permitting) can act and take an email vote.
>>
>> Ravi Kumar
>
> Board,
> to my knowledge we did decide to support this expenditure but left open
> which budget to take it from. Whatever happens I personally vouch for
> having Jeff get reimbursed, so please go ahead.

No we did not.  An email motion cannot pass without unanimous consent, and in that case a voice vote at a meeting must be used to have a majority carry.  A quick whip of the votes (AFAIK, I'm the only -1) shows it will probably carry when we do have a meeting as long as we have a quorum and Jeff is good at turning out the vote :)

What does personally vouch for having Jeff get reimbursed mean?  You would use your own funds to do so?

Howard