[Board] Re: Motion: Support visit to meet with the emerging Vietnam Chapter with funding

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Mar 24 07:00:23 PDT 2010

> Yes the trip happened, and was a big success.  The meeting took place
> and was well attended
> (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Vietnam_Chapter_Meeting_2010-03-11).  We
> spent some time establishing their goals, structure, and objectives (all
> visible at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Vietnam).  I was quite impressed
> with their FOSS4G activities, with a lot of action in the government
> sector.
>
> I'm going to act as an advisor to their chapter formation, and the next
> step will be to submit an official expression of interest for the
> chapter formation.

To followup on my own response to the Board about the Vietnam chapter, I
should say that I neglected to give praise for the work of Venkatesh
Raghavan in setting up the Hanoi meeting, connecting with various
Vietnam sectors, and making it all happen (something that I think took
years in the making).  It was all because of Venka's contacts that the
Vietnam community members were able to sit at the same table that day.
Venka has been active in the Vietnam FOSS4G for many years (holding the
GIS-IDEAS Symposium event there since 2004 I believe).

Venka will be an important advisor to the Vietnam local chapter.

I am publicly sorry if my email to the Board looked like I was trying to
take all of the credit for the meeting.

-jeff