[Board] Re: Request for formal incorporation of OSGeo-Africa

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Mar 17 13:06:42 PDT 2010

Hi Folks

I'm afraid we may go down a rabbit hole here that we can't easily get
out of (i.e. a debate of continent level chapter versus country
chapter). I think the paucity of activity and skills in the OSGEO arena
provide a good reason for us to consider a continent wide chapter, but I
do appreciate that some may consider it to broad in scope and incapable
of representing all country's interested linquistically and otherwise.

Perhaps this is something we can debate at the conference? For now I
feel we should reformulate our request towards incorporating a South
African or SADEC chapter so that we can get on with organising our
conference. Gavin and others are you happy for us to do that? If so, I
guess we can create SA level mailing lists, wiki page etc in order to
bring about our incorporation as a local chapter. Does that fly with the
board too?

It would be great to put out a call for papers within this week if
possible and not let these considerations delay our activities too much.

Regards

Tim