[Board] Brief update

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed May 26 10:52:01 PDT 2010

Jacolin wrote:
> Le mercredi 26 mai 2010 19:21:17, Daniel Morissette a écrit :
>> Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>>> Definitely part of my hopes too!  Trying to enumerate local chapter
>>> membership is part of the plan.  So, for example, users can identify
>>> which local chapters they are part of, then we can pull together some
>>> really fun stats.  Thanks for confirming my hunch that chapters would
>>> benefit :)
>> Actually, what I suggested (and I think Yves and Jorge are in support
>> of) was a bit more than that... it's not just about adding choice of
>> local chapters to the form, it's about making several entry points (i.e.
>> forms) into the system that make the visitor feel at home, as if they
>> were in a site managed by their local chapter. Technically it's the
>> same, just an extra set of field(s) in the same database, but for the
>> visitor it has to feel like it's a local portal.
>>
>> You have to realize that most non-English speakers from the local
>> chapters won't go to a global OSGeo portal to register, even if you ask
>> them to. They just don't feel like they belong there. OTOH, provide them
>>   with a separate entry point that makes them feel at home, in their
>> language and dedicated to their local chapter, and they will be much
>> more likely to visit it and register.
>>
>> Makes sense?
>>
>> Daniel
>>
> Right, like hosting local chapter website show a trong link between osgeo and
> LC ;)
>
> I (OSGeo-fr) feel too much independant, which is good to do what I want but is
> bad to create a real community.
>
> Regards,
>
> Y.

Hey,
interesting post. Sounds like OSGeo is slowly becoming something like an
identity provider. Which is probably a good thing, expecially for
emerging chapters who don't care to start working our their own
infrastructure. It will apply less to LCs with strong existing
infrastructures like gfoss.it or FOSSGIS. But to have different entry
points to the OSGeo infrastructure would be great for them too. I am bit
hesitant wrt to the amount of hacking and subseqeunt maintenance that
this infrastructure will nedd to keep running.

Best regards,
Arnulf

- --
Arnulf Christl