[Board] GITA + OSGeo events in 2011

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Oct 13 13:31:14 PDT 2010

Quick update on one topic we discussed in Barcelona, that is looking into
possible collaboration on other future events.  This week I talked to our
contact at GITA who is helping run FOSS4G next year.  They also run their own
event in April:

GITA's 2011 Geospatial Infrastructure Solutions Conference
Gaylord Texan Hotel & Convention Center
Grapevine, Texas
April 10-14, 2011

..and are considering giving us our own track.  This would mean between half a
day or two days worth of speakers that we can line up.  They would mark the
track as being sponsored by OSGeo.  They handle all logistics, we'd just
handle finding people.  Naturally we could handle this via Marketing Committee
but in this early stage thought you'd find it encouraging.

Perhaps Geoff, if you've been to this event before could you comment on the
size and type of audience involved?

I've also had some discussions with a few at OGC.  Nothing concrete there but
it's safe to say there was general interest in doing some event/workshops
together in 2011.  More as we dig deeper.

Tyler