[Board] Charter Member Nominations

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 29 08:04:57 PDT 2010

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Please consider that if the board chooses (again) to affirm every nominated
> charter member without voting, then that will be 2 years in a row where the
> membership has not chosen for itself who to add to its ranks.  Technically
> speaking, this can turn out to hurt OSGeo in the future if members start to
> nominate someone knowing there might not be a vote.  In one way this also
> takes away one more opportunity to flex their muscles of membership and show
> interest in OSGeo when I look at my kind of "active voter" analysis.  Just a
> thought...
>
> My personal opinion is to not change the rules mid-process this time around.
> There is always next year for more nominees.

Tyler,

I agree.  I regret not pushing for more slots at the face to face meeting,
but given that we have launched the process I think it is wrong to alter
it by fiat half way through.

Thanks for digging around in the past member activity records.

I would like to see a "membership" subdirectory on the OSGeo SVN with
current charter member lists, and annual lists of the members who have
participated in the voting so that it will be easier to do the activity
review in the future.

I think we need to get better at keeping such records under source control
and ideally in a transparent location.