[Board] Funding for IslandWood sprint?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 31 14:01:11 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at flaxen.com> wrote:
> At this point, every additional registration will reduce the net remaining
> amount, so ~20 people would cover it.  Would OSGeo be willing to agree to
> cover any shortage that occurs?  I don't know what OSGeo's finances look
> like right now, and I don't know what the board's position on things like
> this have been in the past, but it never hurts to ask.

Michael,

I am supportive of OSGeo underwriting this event, contingent
on it being budgeted to conservatively turn a small profit.  Any
profit would at least notionally be understood to carry forward to
future code sprints in this series, though under the administrative
control of OSGeo.

I am not looking to make a profit on this - only to ensure an
important event happens in a way that is essentially revenue
neutral to OSGeo and that will help sustain the event in future
years.

I am concerned about the precedent we are setting.  Certainly
I would be supportive of providing similar bridge funding support
to the Bolsena code sprint which is also a multi-project activity
with a successful history if that were helpful.  I'm less comfortable
extending it to single-project code sprints or to new code sprints
without an established history of attendence and success.

I do believe we have adequate funds to take on such activities
though we have to be cautious.