[Board] Anything for discussion here?

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 05:23:03 PST 2011

Jo, others,

I read the article as it caught my eye (*apache* harmful??). The title
is misleading as it is mostly about a perceived problem in how the
apache *foundation* works - which does much more than apache the web server.

I think the very basic thinking behind the article is sound - there is
always a new generation and it will have its own way of working. The
trick is how to get it involved and work together with the old folks. I
also agree that some of the technical support role that a foundation
such as ours has is not so central - but the people operating it and
their willingness are very crucial. I personally am very interested in
Git and the advantages it can bring - but still the meritocratic
principle and the benefits of having a single well-maintained source
tree have not disappeared suddenly. AFAIK, Git was developed for Linux
kernel development and the article is exaggerating its role as a new
revolutional tool. I believe one of OSGeo's flagships (QGIS) has changed
to Git and I haven't heard of anything negative - in fact I would be
interested to hear more about their experience.

Cheers,

Ari