[Board] Charter members and directors elections

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Jul 14 14:03:18 PDT 2011

Hi Board,

Following up on the action item from our last board meeting, I have
started working on a draft schedule to hold charter members and
directors elections this summer before FOSS4G.

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2011

As you'll see in the above document, we might be able to make it if we
got the charter election going tomorrow or early next week at the
latest, but otherwise it's going to be too tight and we'll have to hold
only the directors election this summer and the charter members election
will have to come later in the fall as we did last year.

I also did a bit of research to track down last year's discussion about
adding only 10% new members per year being a bit low. You probably all
remember that we had many great candidates last year but could only add
10. All I could find was this:
   http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2010-October/003613.html

Basically that was suggesting "10% new members plus replace all dropped
members from previous years".

However in http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/New_Membership_Process the rule
was to add "between 10% and one third of the existing charter membership
count as decided by the board".

How many new charter members do we want to add this year? Stick with 10%
(11 new members) or go for more?

Also, does anyone have a strong objection to pushing the new charter
member election to the fall since time is a bit tight?

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/