[Board] next board meeting & project sponsorship

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Jun 2 14:35:05 PDT 2011

On 6/2/11 11:31 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
>> Regarding the Bronze OSGeo Sponsorship level, I understand your reasoning.
>>
>> I'm interested in making it easier for individuals or small
>> organizations to donate to the foundation's projects.
>
> Is sponsorship through this page, http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship/opportunities ,  not easy enough?

At the board meeting, I was hoping to just clarify what is in place and
what projects can do to accept donations.  I was hoping the result could
be used to finalize this doc:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Microdonations

There has been discussion previously about the accounting hassle created
by projects accepting small donations (along the lines of "OSGeo is not
a bank").  I wanted to hear again what the specific issues were.

>> I know that
>> project sponsorship is conflated with foundation sponsorship.  Would the
>> same objections apply if projects were to have their own sponsorship levels?
>
> By clicking on the links to project sponsorship from that page, it seems many already have different level, a few start at 500 USD/EUR others start at $1.

GDAL/OGR, MapGuide, and (previously) OpenLayers all recognize the OSGeo
sponsorship levels that are described here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Sponsorship.  (These are different
than the sponsorship levels described here:
http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship.)

I recently made a motion to the OpenLayers PSC that we add a Bronze
level at $1000 USD.  A concern was raised that we should confirm this
was acceptable to OSGeo since it wouldn't match the OSGeo levels.

Seeing that other projects recognize sponsors at different levels, I'm
assuming that this is a non-issue.

Tim

--
Tim Schaub