[Board] Fwd: [postgis-devel] OGC compliant certified

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Jun 8 08:01:28 PDT 2011

On 11-06-07 06:57 PM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Sounds new to me Paul.  I can dig into unless someone else on the board has the inside scoop already.
> cc'ing Carl.
>
> Tyler
>
> On 2011-06-07, at 11:44 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>> Hi Board,
>> Is there a place in our OGC MOU for OSGeo projects to get certified
>> and advertise their certification status without annual fees as OSGeo
>> projects?
>> P.

I had a similar exchange a few times in the past with OGC staff about
getting MapServer certificates owned by OSGeo. This always seemed to be
a grey area and I don't think there is anything in the MOU about this.

Last time I met Greg and Carl at the GITA conference in April we
discussed the issue again, which then led to an exchange with Luis
Bermudez (responsible for certification program) and Raj (former contact
for certification I believe)... and Raj's conclusion was:

On 11-04-12 01:33 PM, Raj Singh wrote:
> I think where I left it last time was that MapGears could file for the certificate. If OSGeo should "own" the certificate, then that's not a problem either. They are a "real" company because they are incorporated, and they don't make a lot of money, so they probably pay the minimum price for certification. I think this is straightforward.

I guess the next step is to figure out how we want to handle this on the
OSGeo side. i.e. who signs the "official" paperwork on behalf of OSGeo
and who pays the (minimal) fees.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/