[Board] Re: Open Standards / Source White Paper

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Thu May 5 07:40:41 PDT 2011

Folks,
we have a board meeting today and I will motion to accept the final
version of our White Paper available here now:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Open_Source_and_Open_Standards

You have roughly 120 minutes to go through it as of now. :-)

Fun aside, the paper looks fine to me as it is now but please give it a
pass, just to make sure. I removed the "Open Data" bit altogether
because it is still too unclear, to many opposing opinions. The section
on Open Source, especially the 10 points of the OSI definition in my
opinion are overkill but were required by others, so I added them. Apart
from that I shifted around sections and expanded a bit more on both the
OGC's and OSGeo's core functions and less on generalities. Hope this is
good to ship now. Later I would like to add more links to longer texts
which go more into detail.

As I noted earlier I would like to go back to it every now and then to
check whether we are still fine with it - and potentially raise the
version number.

Cheers,
Arnulf

Lance McKee wrote:
> Arnulf,
>
> Thank you! As soon as we have Carl's final edits, we'll post it and
> begin pointing people to it.
>
> Lance
>

> On Apr 11, 2011, at 8:33 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:
>
> Lance,
> we had a good board meeting on Thursday and the paper is now in final
> review from our side. I set a dead line for tomorrow so that on
> Wednesday we should be ready to go. I will keep you updated.
>
> Carl, you should go through the whole paper again because we have
> changed a lot of what you wrote on Open Source, mostly shortening it
> down to what we think are the essentials.
>
> Thanks for your patience.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf

- --