[Board] Proposal/thoughts for a FOSS4G Advisor Role

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Nov 22 12:28:38 PST 2011

On 11-11-22 03:16 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> This is not completely lacking in controls: the LOC is not supposed to
> spend without an approved budget, and not supposed to spend outside of
> the guidance of that budget. That's way budget approval is such a
> bottleneck decision when moving a FOSS4G forward (we have these
> schedule issues annually, where the LOC needs to spend, but the budget
> approval grinds on and on).

Whatever budget you agree on, the limits set in the budget will work out
only if the LOC meets or exceeds the guesses that are made on the amount
of sponsorships and registered attendees. And those two variables are
tightly linked to the quality of the LOC and the level of energy and
commitment that the LOC members put in their (volunteer) work...
unfortunately I don't think we have much control over that, so in the
end the budget may limit the amount of potential damage to some extent,
but it does not ensure success.

I don't believe that the advisory role that we are discussing will
suffice to mitigate any risk, but hopefully it will help steer the LOC
volunteers energy in the right direction to increase the chances of success.

I don't have all the answers either, I'm mostly expressing my concerns...

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/