[Board] Arrangement with Tyler for the termination of his employment

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Nov 22 20:37:27 PST 2011

Board,

Here is a summary of the arrangement we made with Tyler for the
termination of his employment as Executive Director of the Open Source
Geospatial Foundation. This arrangement was based mostly on advice from
the company responsible for our payroll, and some bits of advice from
accountants.

(Note to members following the board activity: This is a rare case where
discussions and decisions had to be made by the board in private because
they relate to HR, so we are providing this summary here for the records
and in the interest of transparency.)

So here we go, without getting into the tiny details:

1- Friday Nov 18, 2011 was Tyler's last day of work for OSGeo (this was
decided at the September 18 board meeting).

2- It was decided to give Tyler 6 weeks of severance pay on top of the 2
months (~7 weeks) notice of termination that was given to him after the
board meeting. He was also required to sign a release document provided
by our payroll contractor. This is in line with industry standards for
this type of position in Canada according to our payroll contractor.

3- It was also decided to let Tyler keep (as part of his severance
package) the computer equipment that he was using for his day to day
work for OSGeo. This made the most sense since we will no longer have a
permanent office and it would not be practical to ship the equipment
around the world for members to use anyway.  More specifically, we are
talking about a laptop, cell phone, video camera, laser printer and monitor.

4- In order to formalize the transfer of assets in OSGeo's books and to
deal with the taxable benefit aspect of this transaction for Tyler, we
used the current book value of the assets (2,159.32$). (I save you the
details of the accounting transactions)

I, as treasurer, am about to execute the above transactions on behalf of
OSGeo, as previously agreed with other members of the board, and am
sending this note for your information and for our records.

Thanks

Daniel Morissette (OSGeo Treasurer)