[Board] Outstanding tasks

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Tue Oct 4 03:50:39 PDT 2011

On 29.09.2011 23:58, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Tyler Mitchell <tmitchell at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> Just FYI - a couple tasks that are pretty important but that I don't
>> have a name for from your side.  Doesn't mean you have to run the show
>> but someone might want to at least watch what happens in case you
>> do not want the ball to be totally dropped.
>>
>> * Marketing chair
>
> Tyler,
>
> Ideally the committee can select a new chair.

Tyler,
as current chair, could you start this process in the Marketing
committee please? Maybe Marketing should also have a meeting to discuss
what needs to be taken over from you?

>> * Event management - e.g. booth planning, presentation tracks planning
>
> Do you have particular events in mind?  I assume this mostly falls
> under the baliwick of the marketing committee?

Most of this has been ongoing by a variety of individuals and there are
lots of local chapter activities. We used the Wiki to coordinate some of
the larger / global events but without a clear responsibility this
tapered out and has not been followed up lately:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Event_Management

Instead the OSGeo calendar has been used to advertize events but it is
somewhat disconnected from the Wiki and I don't know who can or should
edit this? I do not think that Marketing is the ideal place to follow up
but maybe Marketing can speak for themselves about this at the next
meeting?

>> * Annual report management
>
> I think the board needs to address this after year end.
>
>> * Journal - I know it's been low on the board's list for a few years, but it's
>> a great opportunity to help engage on the academic side.  Many reviewers
>> and editors ready to help.
>
> I'm hoping an existing contributor (Landon?) can lead this effort.
> Can you poll for someone?

Yes, good idea. Maybe we can also get more interest from the Local
Chapters if we make them central contributors of the Journal. Plus there
was interst from the Education community who might also be interested in
pushing the Journal forward.

>> * Insurance - assume treasurer?
>
> Seems reasonable.
>
>> * Sponsorship and fundraising - assuming all of board involved?
>
> Right, with the treasurer responsible for the machinery of invoicing.

Well, this will need to improve / change a lot. As we all know failing
in this aspect is one of the core reasons why we discontinued the ED
position. Several ideas have been discussed since and I intend to start
a new fundraising group where we develop an incentive plan to typ into
the OSGeo member group who have good connections to potential sponsors.

In a parallel effort we have to find a way that public administrations
can sponsor OSGeo without using the word "sponsor". This applies
especially to European organizations who have indicated that they have
money sitting there for us but do not know how to. We know this for more
than a year but never followed up.

> Without Tyler to carry the water for the Journal and Marketting
> it is important for them to self organize and find more volunteers.
> If that doesn't happen the efforts will flag.

We still have to work out the budget for 2012 and it should include a
chunk for Marketing to work on. This might help to invigorate interest
in the group.

> All the above IMHO of course.
>
> Best regards,

Best regards,