[Board] Fwd: FOSS4G Proceedings Problem

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Tue Oct 18 09:05:06 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm not sure whether to send this to the board or the conference committee,
but since it involves Tyler's role I thought I'd start here. It was quite a
big deal for the academic community that we committed to publishing papers
from the academic track at FOSS4G this year. In previous years we received
some criticism that this didn't happen, as it's important for academics to
get work formally published. One element of this was publishing papers in
the OSGeo Journal.

You can see more detail in the discussion below from Rafael (who ran the
academic track) and Tyler. The bottom line is that Tyler was going to
organize this but won't have time before he leaves. He is reluctant to ask
for money from OSGeo to do this, but I would hate to see us back down on the
commitment we made to publish these papers, and don't see it happening
unless we engage Tyler to do this (if anyone has any other ideas please let
me know). I am sure I can arrange something with Tyler with minimal impact
on the overall FOSS4G proceeds (not sure the board needs to be involved in
the details, but happy for them to be if they would like to).

I thought I'd ask if anyone has any comments, in favor of or against
engaging Tyler to do this, or alternative ideas, then I'll make a motion (if
I need to).

Cheers,
    Peter.