[Board] USGIF Conference and diatribe on where we are heading

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Oct 30 12:48:47 PDT 2011

On 11-10-25 07:54 AM, Mark Lucas wrote:
> We already do a great job on supporting development. If we add more attention
> to business models I believe that we have a window of opportunity to attract
> sponsorship from some of the many players that already support USGIF. If the US
> government continues to move towards OSS, many contractors will want to brand
> themselves with an OSS approach, resources, development and operational support.
>
> If we do not focus on this we will simply lose the opportunity to USGIF,
> MIL-OSS, OSFA, OSSI or other organizations that will aggressively step forward.

Mark,

I will note that appropriate partnerships with some of these groups
might well be appropriate for OSGeo.  USGIF, MIL-OSS and OSSI are the three
I have some modest awareness of.

> I feel that we have fallen backwards. We failed to raise sponsorship and
> revenue in order to sustain and grow the organization. That led to decision to
> cut expenses with the removal of the ED. I get the feeling that some on the
> board are comfortable with the status quo. It is probably clear that I'm in a
> different camp - we need to raise revenue, get back to where we can support
> core staff, and grow the organization on a couple of fronts. A litmus test for
> me will be a decision on the annual NA conference.

A few points here worth following up on.

1) Comfort with the status quo: I think to some extent I fall into this
category.  I wouldn't mind OSGeo not having core staff, and being primarily
volunteer run with money spent on specific initiatives.  However, I am not
*against* other models if there is a sustainable way forward.

2) NA conference.  My thinking is that this would be pursued primarily by
north american folks interested in making it happen with possibly some
support from OSGeo.  My *hope* is that it could be focused primarily
on opportunities within the federal government, and be held in the Washington
area and that the organizing group would hopefully become the nucleus of a
federal/washington local chapter of OSGeo.

Note that we have always been primarily volunteer driven.  Even when we had
Tyler on staff it didn't mean that the board could wave it's wand and a
conference would happen.

I would be supportive of OSGeo providing some seed money, and flying in 2-3
people as speakers and advocates for such an event if that is helpful.

> I feel that this is a discussion we should quickly settle one way or the other
> and I'd appreciate any feedback in advance of the next board meeting. Either
> way I'll continue to be a strong supporter and user of OSGeo projects - its
> just that we all need to decide where we are going to focus and put our energies.

I am personally waiting for specific steps you would like to take.