[Board] New MOUs proposed...

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 07:32:08 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Through  OSGeo-ICA MoU, our vision is to jointly work to build up the profile of Open Source GIS in universities worldwide by helping share expertise for helping establish dedicated Open Source GIS Research and teaching facilities, make use of E-learning platforms (as the ones we developed for E-learning for Open Geospatial Community ELO-Geo) for Open Source GIS teaching, to establish framework for publications for the academic track of FOSS4G conferences (for research and academic staff having publications in peer-reviewed journals is key output) etc.

Though there are no financial commitments on part of OSGeo or ICA for this, the aim is to use of network of members both in ICA and OSGeo who have interest in this vision to give momentum for this action plan.

As i mentioned in my mail on Aug 4th, in my humble opinion having dedicated Open Source GIS facilities in universities worldwide is a key step in helping strengthen the educational agenda for Open Source GIS both in research and teaching. Currently even with the great progress made in open source GIS  the sad fact is that many universities still use proprietary software for GIS teaching and research. One year back when we started  OSGL at Nottingham, our aim was to build up the momentum of Open Source GIS in the UK, now we are pleased that other universities like University of Girona, Spain are following this and our hope is that in future many more universities join in helping building up network effect for Open Source GIS in education.

Joining forces with the International Cartographic Association (ICA) is an good for this vision as they have an excellent international network http://icaci.org/national-members  with strong research focus  and also part of various global initiatives like the United Nations Programme on Global Geospatial Information Management (GGIM) http://ggim.un.org/partners.html  etc

Best wishes,

Suchith