Islandwood Code sprint (was Re: [Board] New MOUs proposed...)

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Tue Sep 6 09:43:12 PDT 2011

Ok, one more, but then I really have to get back to my day job…

> What *is* the top of our priority list?

My opinion of course.  Top priority is maintaining OSGeo as a growing and internationally recognized organization.  Most of the ongoing discussion really comes back to money.  As we grow and become more financially secure, it becomes easier to support sprints, sponsored travel, and other events that move our collective agenda (open source geospatial software) forward.  I was there at the start when we met in Chicago, got the first major sponsor which allowed us to bring on the ED and rapidly progress to a well respected international organization.  The subsequent conferences, infrastructure, and committees and many contributors put us on the map.  We should look at other successful non-profits and foundations as a model.  Typically, they support an internal staff for day to day operations and worrying about sponsorship and revenue.  As we continue to cast a larger shadow it becomes easier to attract these types of sponsors and sustain our organization.

From where I sit the OSGeo is the place to go for open source geospatial software.  I'm trying to convince the NGA that the OSGeo is the foundation they should strategically link to as they start to get serious about OSS in their enterprise.  I was able to convince my small company to make a commitment for platinum sponsorship as a smart investment.  So, funding the core resources and continued growth over the next couple of years are at the very top of my priorities.

With regard to the Islandwood code sprint… I believe the ED should be able to make these types of decisions.  The board should only get involved if there is a policy that needs to be set.  The ED has a lot at stake in having to guarantee that we have enough revenue to run the organization.

Mark