[Board] 2012 FOSS4G Decision

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 14 13:06:35 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-14, at 6:42 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:

> Ideally this money comes
> right back with the conference - but we will have to back it up as a
> foundation with a vote - now!

Arnulf,

The financial discussions usually happen when the board approves
the final FOSS4G budget later on, right?  Selecting the venue does not mean
approving the final budget, so there will be time for building in changes.
The vote only has to be a confirmation of the conference committee's bid selection.

Regardless of our current financial situation (or the proposed expenditures),
I'm concerned to see financial commitments, new job positions, FOSS4G planning...
all being hastily mixed into this vote.

Even though they are often fine ideas at the end of the day, this impulsive and
spontaneous approach to financial planning and decision making doesn't
help us plan for the future or to build a stable strategy.  Ultimately, I think this
decision making approach is crippling to the organisation in the long run.

I'm glad you will have a chance for (almost all of you) to iron out some of these
kinks later in the week.

Tyler