[Board] 2012 FOSS4G Decision

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Thu Sep 15 06:50:45 PDT 2011

Venka, with respect, I think we should have more discussions about your
proposition (c) in particular. I think (a) is desirable but so far (from
what I know) we have not been very successful with other sources of revenue
like direct sponsorship of OSGeo. I think that FOSS4G can be and has been
both a community event and a profit generator for OSGeo, to fund other
activities of benefit to the community. I think there is more we can and
should do with FOSS4G (like regional FOSS4Gs) to both serve the community
and raise money for OSGeo. There is quite strong support for an ongoing
North American FOSS4G and I think we should talk about that more at our
board meeting.

I do think we should discuss what support we should provide to China -
having been on the hot seat of FOSS4G this year, I hit issues at various
points because I had only attended one previous FOSS4G and didn't have a
good enough understanding of certain things that were expected. I think we
got through those and still had scope to introduce some ideas of our own.

Jeff supporting them is certainly an option to consider. Tyler was also a
strong support to me in various areas. I also think that with a little more
work, the drupal based web site we have put together could handle the whole
abstract submission and evaluation process, and greatly reduce a lot of
tedious and error prone processes that we had to do in order to handle this.
I would very strongly recommend we invest a little more money on this
(possibly directly out of FOSS4G 2011 proceeds) to help all future FOSS4Gs.