[Board] Codesprint guidelines posted

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Sep 20 12:02:24 PDT 2011

Thanks for putting these up Michael.

I think a number of us have issues with the "bigger is better" notion
with regard to code sprints.  I have certainly seen cases where size
contributes diminishing returns.

My preference would be to leave the last sentence off entirely (the
num days x num projects x num participants metric), as I don't think
it is an accurate way to measure "sprint value."

Would other object if we took out this sentence?

"OSGeo will provide financial support proportional to the "size" of
the event, as measured by(the number of projects) times (the number
attendees) times (the number of days)."

If we need some sort of heuristic for determining how much OSGeo
should contribute toward a particular sprint, I think it would come
from answering questions like these:

1) Are there clear objectives for the projects/people involved?
2) Is there a demonstrated need for what participants plan to accomplish?
3) Are the people involved the right ones to accomplish the objectives?

Tim

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at flaxen.com> wrote:
> At the board meeting yesterday, I presented a set of guidelines that the
> board should consider when being requested to provide support for a
> codesprint.  I've captured the content here:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines
>
> Comments welcome.  (Jeroen, your thoughts would be particularly appreciated,
> as you're the representative of the Bolsena sprint.)
>
> -mpg

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo http://opengeo.org/