[Board] The geotools license agenda item

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 06:58:06 PDT 2012

> Motion:
> The board confirms that (verbatim copy from the CLA): "The Foundation
> grants the Contributor the non­exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable,
> worldwide, royalty­free, license to use, copy, prepare derivative works
> of, publicly display or perform, and distribute the Submission (1)."
> This includes relicensing their own contributions under another license.

I am afraid the very next line in section "V. Obligations of the Foundation" specially covers changing license as a board responsibility, made in conjunction with the group governing the project. There are a couple of restrictions, open source license, in accordance with the bylaws of the Foundation etc…

Still here is the complete block of text (in case my reading of it is incorrect):

> V. Obligations of the Foundation
>
> The Foundation hereby grants the Contributor the non­exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty­free, license to use, copy, prepare derivative works of, publicly display or perform, and distribute the Submission.
>
> In the event the Foundation makes the Submission available to third parties, it shall do so only in accordance with the requirements of the by­laws of the Foundation, currently hosted at http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html. In particular, the portions of the Submission integrated to the core library will be licensed to the third party under a license approved as an open source license by the Open Source Initiative, or any substantially similar license that meets the Open Source Definition or Free Software Definition. The specific license used will be chosen in suitable consultation with the group governing the Project. The portions of the Submission integrated to the Geotools documentation, web site, or other ancillary portions of the Geotools project may be licensed to the third party under any license with suitable terms for such material, including without limitation the GNU Free Documentation License or the Berkeley Software Distribution license. The portions of the Submission integrated into the code tutorials may be licensed to the third party under terms with fewer restrictions including without limitation placing the tutorial code into the public domain.
>
> The Contributor understands that the decision to include the Submission in the Project is entirely that of the Foundation, and the Foundation will not be obligated to make the Submission available as part of the Project. The Foundation acknowledges that, except as explicitly described in this Agreement, the Submission is provided on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON­ INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Jody