[Board] [OSGeo-Standards] Status of the 10 OGC slots for OSGeo members

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:38:24 PDT 2012

I suggest that it would be a good idea to document a process for
allocating the OGC membership token.

Andrea, as you are probably the person with the most pressing need,
would you be interested in putting together a first draft for what such
a process might look like?

I'd suggest starting the Draft process here somewhere:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Standards

If the process is suitably complete, we can discuss and sign off on it
it at the next board meeting.

Items which I think should be considered in the process:
* Why would we give the membership to one person over another?
* Who would approve the allocation of OGC membership to someone? The
board? Other OGC members?
* What expectations would we have OSGeo/OGC members?
* How long would OSGeo/OGC membership last? What would be the process
for retiring/replacing a member?
* Where would we list the current OSGeo/OGC members? (I'd like to know
who is on this list now)

On 15/08/2012 3:14 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> I know I posted some ideas for managing this many months ago, perhaps before I was on the board...
>
> I'll add two things to the next mtg agenda:
>    - formalize process for allocating and reviewing OGC memberships
>    - give one to Andrea Aime (assuming we have an extra one available)
>
> -mpg
>

> On Aug 14, 2012, at 8:58 AM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi mpg and fellow Board members,
>>
>> I'm one of the ones using a slot (I thought it was 6 not 10, but maybe a
>> few years ago it was 6 available).  My process was that I responded on
>> discuss or wherever when I heard of this, and then Arnulf put me in
>> touch with an OGC membership person.
>>
>> I am not aware of a formal process.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 12-08-14 12:28 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>>> Hey, fellow Boarders, do we have anyone who owns this topic?
>>>
>>> -mpg

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050