[Board] Choosing the next President of OSGeo

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Aug 17 12:28:25 PDT 2012

On 12-08-17 3:47 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> Arnulf did an amazing job as President.  He traveled the world
> representing OSGeo for many many years.
>
> Now I wonder how anyone else could do that, and yet still "keep the
> lights on".  He worked so hard at it that it is almost impossible to
> fill his shoes (and be able to pay the bills, have a regular life).  He
> did it all on his own money, never once requesting financial assistance.
>
> So how do we adjust this role to life-after-the-Arnulf-borg ? :)
>
> Mike Smith and I had a long Skype talk this morning about this. But I
> feel we should all openly discuss our thoughts, before the short meeting
> slot on Monday.  Mike did say that a lot of Arnulf's role would now be
> filled by Cameron's "OSGeo Advocates".  But I'd love to hear everyone's
> thoughts on this.

In my offlist talks with Mike this morning, I came up with my own
shortlist of OSGeo Presidential candidates on the Board: Frank, Daniel,
and Cameron.

Frank: needs no explanation.  He may not have time for outreach though,
but he is high on my list.

Daniel: well spoken and professional, thorough and good at everything he
tackles.  This role may clash with his treasurer role though.

Cameron: a strong international voice for OSGeo, and his written
documents/emails are always very impressive.

Other thoughts:

Venka used a term to describe several of us recently: "FOSS4G Heroes".
Great description.  Call it also evangelist if you wish.  I see myself
in that category.  I/we are boots-on-the-ground guys, and I don't
necessarily see myself fitting well in such a presidential role (indeed
I lack the funding to do the necessary outreach).  I'd much rather
continue my low-level focus on FOSS4G and local chapters.

By the way, if I could actually nominate anyone from the OSGeo community
to be the President of OSGeo, I have no doubt, it would be Venkatesh
Raghavan. http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Venkatesh_Raghavan

-jeff