[Board] FOSS4G North America 2013

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Mon Aug 20 14:46:17 PDT 2012


I have previously reviewed this material and I'm ready to move forward with it.  

Mark


On Aug 20, 2012, at 5:40 PM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:

> Hi Board and Conference Committee,
> 
> At the 2012-08-09 board meeting, it was decided that "The board agrees in principle to work towards financial support of the FOSS4GNA regional event, with details to be sorted out before final approval of the support". And then Peter and I were appointed to help sort out the details with the FOSS4G-NA LOC and come back with a proposal.
> 
> The documents proposed by David in this email are the result of this work (and my concerns have been addressed). They were on the agenda of today's board meeting but unfortunately we ran out of time to fully discuss them, so it was decided to go with offline review and have the board come up with a decision within 48hrs. (72hrs may be more realistic)
> 
> FYI, a more complete discussion of the budget and our actual financial liability in case of cancellation is available in the following board email: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2012-July/009876.html
> 
> I'd like to add that we didn't forget that FOSS4G 2013 (Nottingham) is also expecting the same level of support, and that is still on the radar.
> 
> The FOSS4G-NA LOC needs our response ASAP in order to secure their venue, so your input in the next day or so will be most welcome. Then the next step will be to vote a motion of the board by email if everything is okay.
> 
> Daniel
> 
> 
> On 12-08-15 4:43 PM, David William Bitner wrote:
>> Dear OSGeo Board (Welcome new members!) and Conference Committee,
>> 
>> Thank you very much for your support to date in helping us get
>> everything in place to be able to make financial arrangements for the
>> FOSS4G North America Event in 2013. With the help of Peter and Daniel as
>> indicated at the tail end of the last Board meeting we have worked over
>> the last week to really put some "meat on the bones" of what all
>> agreements must be in place for us to be able to leverage OSGeo to help
>> the Twin Cities Local Chapter by acting as the financial backstop for
>> this conference.
>> 
>> I do apologize for the rushed nature of this request, but I wanted to be
>> able to present a full and accurate budget to the Board along with this
>> request which we could not do until we had a full offer from our venue.
>> And of course, getting the full offer from the venue then comes with a
>> limited time to sign that contract.
>> 
>> Where we are at now. As attached here and presented to the Board and
>> Conference Committee previously, we have a current offer for a venue
>> that we have worked into our budget documents. As detailed before, we
>> have made sure to be very careful in controlling for any liabilities.
>> Our team has significant experience having hosted the 2003 and 2005
>> proto-FOSS4G events as well as experience working on other conferences
>> including the annual comparably sized Minnesota GIS/LIS Conference.
>> 
>> In order to get the ball rolling and to sign the contract with our
>> venue, we must put in place the agreements for the fiscal management of
>> this conference. As the Twin Cities Local Chapter is not a legal entity,
>> we have secured the local non-profit organization SharedGeo to act as
>> our fiscal agent for this conference and are requesting that OSGeo
>> establishes a service agreement on the behalf of the local chapter with
>> SharedGeo for the fiscal management of this conference.  OSGeo will
>> retain the liability for the event as well as any net profits from the
>> event.
>> 
>> Attached to this message along with the current budget is a draft
>> agreement to be made between SharedGeo and OSGeo. Additionally,
>> following this message is text to be considered as an agreement between
>> OSGeo and the Twin Cities Local Chapter to make sure that all the right
>> expectations are in place.
>> 
>> We look to the Board to provide any feedback on these documents (these
>> are living documents right now, any changes are still welcome) and to
>> take the following three actions upon satisfaction of the documents. If
>> at all possible, we would hope that we will be able to address any
>> concerns there may be and get these agreements together as soon as
>> possible while making sure that we remain diligent about getting
>> everything right.
>> 
>> 1. Accept and sign agreement between OSGeo and SharedGeo (attached)
>> 2. Pass a resolution describing the expected relationship between OSGeo
>>    and the Twin Cities Local Chapter (below)
>> 3. Provide a Board representative to help support this event
>> 
>> We thank you for your support to date and will try to answer any
>> questions that you may have.
>> 
>> David Bitner
>> FOSS4G North America 2013 Conference Chair
>> 
>> ---------------------- Agreement between OSGeo and Twin Cities Local
>> Chapter ----------------------------------------
>> 
>> With reference to Board Resolution accepting the Services Agreement
>> between OSGeo and SharedGeo, the OSGeo Board establishes a relationship
>> with the OSGeo Twin Cities Local Chapter to create the Local Organizing
>> Committee for the planning and running of the Free and Open Source
>> Software for Geospatial North America Conference (FOSS4G NA) 2013
>> Conference to be held in Minneapolis, MN May 22-24 2013.
>> 
>> As part of this relationship, the Twin Cities Local Chapter agrees to:
>> 
>> 1. Establish a Local Organizing Committee (LOC). This committee shall
>>    fulfill all roles within the Services Agreement assigned to "The
>>    Committee". Specifically this encompasses all activities in the
>>    Services Agreement Section II.A other than "filing of any required
>>    post event Federal and State income tax returns".
>> 2. Establish a Conference Chair.
>> 3. Establish a Program Committee that responds to the Chair and the LOC
>>    and tries to represent the broader North American OSGeo interests.
>> 4. Establish an Executive Committee made up of the Conference Chair,
>>    the Conference Venue Chair, a representative from SharedGeo, and a
>>    representative from the OSGeo Board of Directors. No expenditures
>>    outside of the budget or changes to the budget are to be made
>>    without full consensus by this Executive Committee
>> 5. Communicate all major developments with regards to the conference
>>    with the OSGeo Conference Committee and OSGeo Board of Directors.
>> 
>> The OSGeo Board agrees to:
>> 
>> 1. Provide an OSGeo representative to sit on the Local Organizing Committee
>> 2. Provide oversight over the budget through filling a seat on the
>>    Conference Executive Committee
>> 3. Earmark a minimum of 50% of net conference profits for future FOSS4G
>>    North America events (excluding the main FOSS4G international event).
>> 4. File any required post event Federal and State income tax returns.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Board mailing list
>> Board at lists.osgeo.org
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board
>> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Daniel Morissette
> http://www.mapgears.com/
> Provider of Professional MapServer Support since 2000
> 
> 
> 
> <FOSS4G 2013 Draft Budget - Budget %28Marriott Option%29 (2).pdf><2012_0809_SharedGeo_FOSS4GNA_Services_Agreement_DRAFT_sds.doc>_______________________________________________
> Board mailing list
> Board at lists.osgeo.org
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/board

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/attachments/20120820/d727f3de/attachment.html>


More information about the Board mailing list