[Board] Some food for thought from Directions magazine ahead of our board meeting

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Jan 4 11:06:24 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM, seven at arnulf.us <seven at arnulf.us> wrote:
> On 01/03/2012 02:19 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>> I heard this too, but never got around to writing anything down about
>> it.  My quick thought was that OpenGeo’s charter is (I claim)
>> fundamentally different from what OSGeo’s charter is/should be -- I
>> don’t see any there is or should be any “competition” between the two
>> groups.
>
> Folks,
> I do not really like the idea of calling OSGeo and OpenGeo both a
> "group" as if they were anything that you can compare. They are not
> comparable, they do different things with different goals but they can
> profit from each other and they collaborate.
>
> Unfortunately OpenGeo chose to choose a name and TLD that is meant to cause
> confusion - but nothing much we can do about this.

It's common practice in the US for 501(c)(3) to register .org domains.
 OpenGeo is a division of OpenPlans, a nonprofit corporation.  Please
rest assured that registering for a .org domain name was in no way
"meant to cause confusion."

I typically refrain from responding to jabs like this, but I don't
want the misstatements to be perpetuated.

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo http://opengeo.org/