[Board] Some food for thought from Directions magazine ahead of our board meeting

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Thu Jan 5 10:45:15 PST 2012

Nicolas wrote:

> Would OSGeo just be the same today without OpenGeo's numerous code contributions and sponsorships ?

I'm not sure I follow this. My answer to your question would be "of course not": employees of OpenGeo have written a lot of good code and have done a lot of market education about open source.  But the same argument could be made for the MapServer gang, which doesn't have a single corporate entity behind it.

> i really think that some more energy, fundings and promotion should go to the OSGeo coding projects themselves

> (and also to OSGeo marketing and Web presence, but this is another point i won't dive in now).

And this is where it gets hard :-(

Yes, we want to support the developers, and the marketing, and the web - and also free data, and open educational curricula, and.

But of course we can't do everything, and of course every member of OSGeo has their own areas of importance, so somehow the Board needs to prioritize.  I feel that's what we board members were elected to do.

Some of my own factors for prioritizing include:

- what can the Foundation do really well using its unique resources? (e.g. using volunteers)

- what are other groups overlap with what we could do? (e.g. OpenGeo developing GeoServer software or GitHub providing code hosting)

- what would areas would potential sponsors be willing to provide money for? (e.g. raising money to buy advertising space in a magazine is likely harder than raising money to improve the OSGeo4W packaging)

-mpg