[Board] Some food for thought from Directions magazine ahead of our board meeting

nicolas bozon nicolas.bozon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:47:52 PST 2012

Thanks Tim for such a responsible statement.

Michael, thank you also for answering my question which was really opened
in fact.
May be it was a simple bottle sent in the Sea of open source geospatial..

I'd still like to follow up on what you did not seem to follow.
Weren''t the MapServer Foundation and also GRASS GIS users and developers
at the real roots of OSGeo, i mean in 2004/2006 or something like that?
(yes i know these software were there much before).
According to me, this could be part of so much confusion nowadays, at the
board and foundation levels, or may be between the tribe themselves ?

My simple idea was that OSGeo should spent more on gathering theses tribes
and make them work together, and not only about code. This is of course my
only opinion and i wouldn't like to make too big wawes in that really good
Sea.

And of course, i agree with you, the MS team is providing such an excellent
work since a long time , that i am using it every day!
But i don't agree that MS doesn't have kind of business umbrellas, i think
there are many in fact, even in Europe and Asia also, but may be smaller,
or may be without exactly the same approaches.

Anyway, I was just speaking about gathering the tribes more, and may be try
to help them acording to the budget that the Foundation could get. I agree
board members cannot do everything, but i don't at all saying that
volunteers should be the only resource. How could volunteers could afford
air tickets for board meetings or codesprints, or even to go to Beijing,
without any benefits from events, sponsors..?

I still fully agree with some of the priorities you mentionned, and i just
feel this is not my role to speak on this now.
I just wanted to give my opinion on this opened list.

Best regards,

Nick