[Board] Questions about the OSGeo Journal Post Tyler Mitchell

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Tue Jan 17 03:22:05 PST 2012

Hi Landon,

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we really appreciate the
work you've done with the Journal- particularly without Tyler's input, and
thanks for raising these concerns. I'm not totally clear though, whether
the questions you raise are more long-term, or relate specifically to the
production of the 2010 Annual Report? If the format was to follow that of
previous editions, what specifically are the issues that you need guidance
on? In particular, what are the show-stoppers?

I will add the journal to our agenda for our face to face meeting in early
February, to cover the longer term issues that you've raised.

Thanks

Jo

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Landon Blake
<sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com>wrote:

> Board Memebers:
>
> I’m in the process of trying to wrap up the 2010 annual report of the
> OSGeo Journal. During this work some questions about the Journal kept
> surfacing. I wanted to ask them here. At this point, I’m unsure if
> work on the 2010 annual report should even continue.
>
> Tyler Mitchell had a major role in previous efforts to prepare and
> publish the journal. His absence has created what I feel is an
> important void.
>
> Some of this void deals with practical issues. For example:
>
> How are decisions about the style, content, and format of the Journal
> going to be made?
> Who has the final say on these decisions, and how is the board going
> to give its input, if at all?
> Is there an official point of contact at the board for the journal team?
> Will we support peer-reviewed articles on open source geospatial
> topics, and if so, what will our guidelines for submission and review
> be?
> Will we have advertising of any form? If so, what will our guidelines
> be for adertising content?
> Do we want to support alternate formats for the journal, like EPUB,
> MP4, Video, etc...
>
> The void also creates some strategic issues. For example:
>
> How does the Journal support the board’s long term goals for the
> organization?
> How is the Journal related, if at all, to the organizations other
> activities?
> Does the board even see a need for the Journal?
>
> To be honest, at this point, despite repeated requests for help,
> production of the Journal is currently a one-man show. If the board
> decides it doesn’t want or need a journal, I’m OK with that decision.
>
> If the board does feel the Journal is important, I’d like to talk with
> board members more about what the tasks the Journal is supposed to
> accomplish, how it is supposed to accomplish those tasks, and how this
> work will be coordinated and supported.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Landon

***Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 750 095 8167
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform<http://www.isharemaps.com/>
See the new Helpdesk and Customer
portal<http://support.astuntechnology.com/home>
Over 35% of the 4 star council websites use iShare - SOCITM Better
Connected 2010

See our customer commendations and
awards<http://astuntechnology.com/customers/awards-and-commendations/>

864201149.